Maeve Aerospace is looking for an experienced electrical / mechanical / mechatronics engineer to assume the lead design role for our Aircraft Battery System.
Who are we?
Maeve Aerospace is a Delft-based aerospace start-up with a mission to enable 100% sustainable regional air travel and in turn, improve airlines' flight operating costs.
To ensure zero-emission regional air travel, Maeve aims to deliver the world’s first all-electric zero-emission aircraft, seating 44 passengers with a flight range of 550 km, by the end of 2029.
In other words, we make aviation greener, simpler and cheaper.
As the Battery System Design Lead, you will be in charge of designing, developing, testing and certifying Maeve’s battery systems including the main propulsion batteries, emergency and auxiliary batteries, their thermal management system, and their mechanical and electrical integration into our Airframe.
You will take responsibility for the system architecture design of the integrated battery system. You will collaborate closely with the Aircraft Design Department, which includes Aerodynamics and Structures, the Powertrain Team and the Office of Airworthiness Departments.
As Battery System Design Lead, you will be tasked to:
- Define, communicate, and establish a technology development vision for the battery cell-to-system level architecture;
- Act as system architect and owner of the highly energy-dense Battery System for Airframe and Powertrain integration;
- Support the team in the establishment of battery functional verification plans (e.g. battery management, normal thermal management, thermal runaway management)
- Establishing conditions for new product development such as; optimised processes, key technologies, new design software and proven techniques/methodologies;
- Hands-on support in the design, fabrication, and testing of multiple generations of battery system and subsystem prototypes;
- Supporting the recruitment department with job profile input on hiring & attracting battery engineering talent to grow the battery team;
As Battery System Design Lead, you require the following hard- and soft skills:
- BSc or MSc in electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, systems engineering, mechanical engineering or similar;
- Minimum 5-7 years of work experience in Electric Systems or Battery development; Particularly interesting are profiles from automotive or aerospace (eVTOL, sTOL, cTOL) background;
- Ideally you have a background in aviation & bring the ambition to build a safe but light, smart but secure, high-power, high-voltage battery to touch the skies;
- Hands-on experience with conceptual and detailed design, development and testing of battery system configurations for light weight applications with strict safety requirements;
- Proven track record to manage objectives, people, and priorities to meet tight deadlines in a ressource-efficient manner in a ever-growing team is critital;
- Experience in selection and management of third-party vendors and suppliers; particularly experience with battery cell suppliers is desirable.
- High proficiency in English and excellent communication skills;
- Willingness to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team and in an undefined start-up environment. Availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals/deadlines;
- The ability to work in a European company with a valid EU work visa is preferred but not mandatory. The (international) applicant should be willing and able to relocate.
Depending on your profile we offer a competitive salary and shares as part of Maeve's Employee Shares Program.
Does this job description fit you perfectly? Then apply, and we hope to welcome you to our mission!
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Maeve: As an ambitious startup with an enormous mission, Maeve thrives on diverse perspectives. We value all aspects of diversity: gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, ethnic origin, social background, age, lifestyle, and more. At Maeve, we want to close the gender gap through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology. We are committed to hiring a diverse community and fostering a culture where everyone is heard and belongs.(Maeve is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. If you feel uncertain about obtaining a fair review on your application due to your background, then Maeve proposes applications in which your name, gender, sex and ethnic origin can be made anonymous).