SNC is currently seeking exceptional candidates who wish to be a part of the commercial space revolution.
Our fun, fast-paced and collaborative team designs, builds, and flies the Dream Chaser Cargo System, an ambitious flagship program to create our Nation's only commercially reusable space plane. With your help, we will conduct many safe and successful missions over the next decade to deliver critical cargo to and from the International Space Station. These flights for NASA will enable us to build an unprecedented commercial space transportation network around the Dream Chaser, which provides affordable, cutting-edge orbital capability and return to Earth services onto runways around the globe. The future of space transportation is now.
The Electrical Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting the electrical system design for the Dream Chaser vehicle. Tasks include specification, development, procurement, integration and testing of avionics hardware. This role requires the ability to focus on details such as interface requirements, hardware definition, and channelization of electrical sensors and subsystem hardware as well as understand the bigger picture of how avionics fits in to the larger vehicle design
In this role, you will report to the Avionics, Software and Comm (AS&C) Hardware design lead. AS&C is responsible for the Dream Chaser spacecraft with respect to avionics and communications subsystems. The avionics consists of both Command & Data Handling (C&DH) hardware and Guidance, Navigation & Control (GN&C) sensors/effectors for both orbit and atmospheric flight. AS&C also owns the flight instrumentation system for the vehicle.
As a member of AS&C you will be challenged with all facets of the electrical systems. Our detailed system engineering tasks include authoring of component specifications, performance analysis, and hardware integration and testing.
An ideal candidate would have experience with high performance aircraft, launch vehicle or spacecraft avionics.
Highlight your background in any of the following:
GN&C hardware systems (on orbit, RPO or EDL/atmospheric flight)
Avionics design (such as C&DH systems)
For this job grade, experience can also take the form of new development, modifications, integration, verification or testing of sensors, or system integration in a custom or COTS environment. Please indicate your experience in these areas as well as HW/SW interaction, verification or validation efforts.
The ability to interpret high level vehicle requirements and derive component level specifications and verification tasks is required. A working knowledge of digital data bus architectures (MIL-STD-1553B, Ethernet, SpaceWire, RS-422/RS-485, SPI, I2C) is a critical skill. Design and integration experience with complex electro-mechanical systems or instrumentation could qualify. Previous experience with technical subcontract management is a bonus.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Support refinement of avionics architecture and specifications -- decomposing requirements, developing component specifications and developing hazard controls
- Support procurement by identifying vendors and maintaining impeccable vendor relationships throughout life cycle
- Support subsystem checkout during the engineering phase by authoring test plans and procedures for verifying operation of subsystem and components
- Support the vehicle build and test as a subsystem expert
- Support technical meetings and reviews
- Author test plans and procedures for verifying operation of subsystem and components during Integration and Test.
- Coordinate of engineering schedules and milestones.
- Define, develop, and evaluate operational requirements.
- Perform requirements analysis and trade studies.
- Identify technical problems and recommend solutions.
- Perform risk analyses and assessments.
- Support anomaly resolutions; review of operational procedures and analyze data.
- Perform verification/validation task during vehicle testing
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all technical activities
- Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations, Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
- SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position
- Experience with hardware system design or integration of hardware and software is required.
- Background in Digital/Analog Board design or FPGA design will receive additional consideration.
- Experience with C&DH or GNC hardware or instrumentation is a plus.
- Working knowledge of digital data bus architectures is important. Examples include MIL-STD-1553B, RS-422/RS-485, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, SpaceWire, etc .
- Experience with testing, verification and validation is required.
- Experience performing HW/SW integration and testing is applicable.
- Experience with flight test instrumentation (FTI) or spacecraft instrumentation is applicable.
- Experience with data acquisition and recording systems is a plus.
- Direct hands-on systems development experience desirable, board or FPGA is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills required
- BS in related field
- 6 + years of related experience
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Previous experience and skills in project definition, design, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment with emphasizes in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- Instinct and desire to take ownership of tasks, decisions, and results
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.