Primary Location: OMAN-OCONUS-THUMRAIT
Security Clearance: None
The Aircraft Structural Repair Technician designs, repairs, modifies and fabricates aircraft, metal, plastic, composite, advanced composite, low observables, and bonded structural parts and components. Applies preservative treatments to aircraft, missiles, and support equipment (SE).
(Typical duties include the following, although specific duties vary by assignment or contract.)
- Assembles structural parts and components to meet requirements for preserving structural integrity and low observable qualities.
- Assesses damage to aircraft structural components and low observable coatings.
- Advises on structural and low observable repair, modification, and corrosion protection treatment with respect to original strength, weight, and contour to maintain structural and low observable integrity.
- Ensures aircraft component balance is maintained.
- Assembles repairs using special fasteners and adhesives.
- Checks repairs for serviceability according to specifications and technical publications.
- Manufactures jigs, fixtures, forms, and molds.
- Paints aircraft, missiles, and support equipment (SE). Identifies, removes, and treats corrosion using mechanical and chemical procedures. Applies corrosion protective and low observable coatings. Applies aircraft paint schemes and markings.
- Uses metalworking equipment and tools to form, cut, bend, and fasten replacement or repair parts to damaged structures and components. Fabricates, repairs, and assembles tubing and cable assemblies for aerospace weapon systems and SE.
- Maintains and inspects tools and equipment. Performs operator maintenance and service inspections on shop equipment and tools.
- Ensures lockout and tagout procedures are accomplished prior to performing shop equipment maintenance.
- Stores, handles, and disposes of hazardous waste and materials according to environmental standards.
- Inspects structures and components and determines operational status.
- Interprets inspection findings, and determines corrective action adequacy.
- Posts entries and maintains maintenance and inspection records.
- Recommends methods to improve equipment performance and maintenance procedures.
- Inputs, validates, and analyzes data processed to automated systems. Clears and closes out completed maintenance discrepancies in automated maintenance systems.
- Perform other qualified duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge aircraft construction features; identification and characteristics of aerospace materials; repair of metal, tubing, cable, plastic, fiberglass, bonded honeycomb, and composite structural components; shop drawing and sheetmetal layout techniques; shop mathematics; corrosion identification, removal, repair, and prevention; cleaning of metals; application of protective coatings, low observable materials, and markings; proper use, mixing, and storage of acids, solvents, alcohol, caustics, primers, and paints; and proper handling and disposal of hazardous waste and materials.
- Capable of interpreting technical publications including schematics and engineering drawings.
- Able to provide technical assistance to customer in regards to aircraft structural maintenance discipline.
- In depth knowledge of policies and procedures relating to aircraft safety and training.
- Proficient in communication skills necessary to conduct on the job training.
Experience & Education
- Eight (8) or more years’ experience supporting assigned aircraft with 5 years’ experience supporting Block 50 aircraft.
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Previous experience as an AFSC 2A7X3 Aircraft Structural Specialist, or equivalent.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Must be able to lift/push/pull minimum of 75 pounds
- Work is outdoors desert weather conditions of extreme heat and humidity.
- May be exposed to extreme noise from turbine and jet engine aircraft.
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles; may be exposed to electrical shock hazards or work near moving mechanical parts, vehicles, or aircraft.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.