Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 11,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East.
We are actively seeking a Chief Engineer to join our expanding team in Fareham, reporting directly to the Engineering Director. The successful candidate, will have a focal point for ‘safety critical’, product certifications with EASA, and will provide technical leadership and decision making on technical excellence in close partnership with the Integrated Project Teams for the development, manufacture and support of technical solutions which meet customer, business, regulatory, safety, quality, and human factors requirements.
An integral part of the engineering department, the Chief Engineer will possess the relevant experience to be appointed as a company Design signatory for new avionics and design changes (i.e. responsible for both initial and continued airworthiness) . In doing so, they must assume the correct level of maturity and competence to execute the duties effectively. A key part of this role is to provide the interface to external regulatory bodies.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Education: Bachelor's Degree (in Systems /Avionics / Aerospace Engineering / Electrical/ Electronic engineering) or equivalent
- 10+ Years of experience in avionics development with demonstrable underpinning knowledge of the full developmental lifecycle. Extensive knowledge of regulatory design and certification requirements. (Essential)
- Strong background in avionics systems design (experience with flight and navigation systems is desirable)
- A thorough methodical approach to design activities and exceptional attention to detail.
- Substantial analytical and technical problem-solving skills
- Sound understanding of the Systems lifecycle as defined in ARP4754A – up to and including FDAL A (Essential)
- Knowledge of current Systems Engineering standards and techniques particularly with respect to flight certified civil airborne systems (EUROCAE ED-79A/SAE ARP4754A, SAE ARP4761, EUROCAE ED-80 / RTCA DO-254, EUROCAE ED-12C/ RTCA/DO-178C, EUROCAE ED-14G / RTCA DO-160G, CS-ETSO, CS-23,CS-25, CS-27, CS-29,) – (Essential)
- Previous experience in a similar role as a CVE signatory for avionics systems
- EASA Part 21O and ADOA, and approval knowledge (Essential)
- Experience of mentoring and providing technical leadership to multi discipline engineers of all levels
- Self-motivated leader and team player capable of working with minimum direction
- Possess excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a wide range of technical and operational topics
- Driven and committed, to maintaining high standards
- Chair design reviews
- Liaise with EASA & CAA on product certifications and airworthiness
- Chartership (Desirable)