Primary Location: UNITED STATES-TEXAS-EL PASO
Security Clearance: NAC-I
The Aircraft Painter coats the surfaces of aircraft with paint, lacquer, epoxy, resin or other material, using brushes, rollers, spray guns and other devices, removes old paint from aircraft, using liquid paint remover and scraper.
- Perform all preparatory work (obtains supplies and equipment, sets up ladders and scaffolds, and covers items with drop cloths and tape).
- Perform all duties associated with the treatment, preparation, and coating of wood, metal, glass, synthetic, concrete, or other surfaces.
- Prepare surfaces by mechanical means, i.e. scraping, wire brushing, masking, spackling, and sanding surfaces.
- Clean, degrease, and remove all oil and wax buildup. Removes scale, dirt and old paint from surfaces so that coating materials will adhere properly.
- Mask and cover portions of surfaces not to be painted.
- Mix, thin, blend, match, tint, and tone coating materials following specific oral and written directives and specifications.
- Applies coating materials such as primers, paints, varnishes, and shellacs, using standard application techniques and ensures that the coating finish meets surface protection requirements.
- Performs fluid flushing and air vacuum cleaning of aircraft fuel tanks.
- Removes fuel tank braces for access to hard to reach areas.
- Removes anti-leak sealant and polyurethane paint material from fuel tank inner surfaces.
- Paint insignia, letters or numerals on aircraft surface, using stencils.
- Assists higher grade mechanics with cleaning of aircraft parts using solvents and other cleaning solutions.
- Perform other duties as requested
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of preparation and painting of aircraft, support equipment, and allied components.
- Knowledge of aircraft and/or company forms required by work requirements.
- Ability to work independently with good decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
Experience & Education
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) or more years of recent experience in a paint preparation, painting, sanding and scuffing career field required.
- Two (2) or more years experience with aircraft, ground support equipment, and allied component surfaces preferred.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Is required to climb, stand, stoop, bend, stretch, crouch and work in tiring and uncomfortable position.
- Frequently lifts parts and equipment up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally lifts objects up to 50 pounds. Most heavy lifting is accomplished through the use of mechanical devices.
- As required by Task Order Performance Work Statement.