Primary Location: UNITED STATES-NEVADA-FALLON
Security Clearance: Confidential
The Aircraft Mechanic-Powerplant performs organizational, intermediate and limited depot level maintenance to include inspection, operational test, repair, modification and troubleshooting on all assigned aircraft, components and equipment. Applies advanced technical knowledge to solve complex problems and to provide technical assistance, guidance and instruction to other employees as needed.
- Maintains all aircraft main, auxiliary, secondary power systems, fuel systems, engine level and bleed air components.
- Performs troubleshooting, testing, low and high power turn operational checks of power plant systems, replacing or repairing worn or damaged components, such as, fuel controls, fuel pumps, oil pumps, and engine mounted gearboxes, and compressor bleed valves using hand tools, gauges, and testing equipment
- Removes engine from aircraft, disassembles and inspects parts for wear, cracks, security, or other defects, and repairs or replaces defective engine parts and reassembles and installs engine in aircraft.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, technical directives, planning documents, test specifications, technical publications and procedures, and applicable safety manuals.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- This classification activity is usually accomplished in a hangar/shop/flight line environment and as such requires the scope of physical movements and postures normally associated with these activities.
- May be required to lift objects whose weight normally will not exceed 70 pounds.
- Special vision abilities required to perform this job are close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- The diversity of work conditions may range from an environment where there is little or no physical discomfort, to an environment where inclement weather may subject individual to severe changes of temperature; wind, rain, snow, ice, etc.
- May be required to work in areas where high noise hazards prevail.
- May be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- May be exposed to electrical shock hazards.
- May be required to perform off-site service on assigned detachments.
- Possess a high degree of expertise of aircraft systems.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of applicable maintenance/technical manuals, publications, instructions and special tools and test equipment.
- Must be familiar with operational capabilities and limitations of aircraft systems.
- Possess a thorough working knowledge of the detection, prevention and treatment of corrosion.
- Must be customer oriented.
- Capable of cross-training into other specialties.
Experience & Education
- Minimum three years’ experience within the last eight years in their specific aircraft maintenance occupational field. The last two years must have been in the military or with a government aviation maintenance contractor.
- Must have experience in corrosion detection, treatment and prevention. Personnel shall be qualified according to their field of expertise and the level of maintenance assigned.
- Must be able to obtain the level of security clearance required by the Government.
- Recent experience with F-18A-F, EA-18G, E-2C, MH-60S or F-16A&B aircraft strongly preferred.
LICENSING, CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Formal/Specialized Training or Equivalent • Hazardous Waste Communication Training • FOD and TCP Awareness Trained • Security Clearance Awareness Training • COMNAVAIRFORINST 4790.2 Program Awareness • ISO 9001-2000 Program Awareness • NALCOMIS Trained • Valid State Driver’s License • ESD Trained • Support Equipment Operator’s License (Tow Tractor, N2 Servicing Trailer and Mobile Start Unit at a minimum.) • Collateral Duty Inspector (in 2 T/M/S aircraft) • Egress System Checkout • Non-Nuclear Ordnance Explosive Handling Certified • Plane Captain Qualified • Aircraft Towing Certified • Aircraft Brake Rider Certified • Operational Risk Management (ORM) Training • Fuel Surveillance Trained, Engine Run ( 1 T/M/S minimum) Troubleshooter/Final Checker Certified