Why Join Us?
Located west of Portland on the beautiful Oregon Coast, Near Space Corporation values innovation, teamwork, commitment and offers an environment of growth and advancement opportunities. Specializing in the testing and maturing of space and aviation technologies, NSC has extensive experience providing relevant space like environments for maturing new technologies and testing concepts of operations using high altitude balloons and UAVs.
Near Space Corporation’s (NSC) Flight Operations Manager coordinates and conducts unmanned flight operations while growing and developing the flight operations team (flight operations technicians and avionics technicians). The Flight Operations Manager offers their expertise of manufacturing, testing, and servicing of electronics for unmanned aerospace projects, comprised of both high-altitude scientific balloons and unmanned aircraft. A strong understanding of flight operations while tracking budgets and expenses is essential to being successful at NSC.
As an established leader, the Flight Operations Manager strengthens the company by applying their knowledge of avionics, telemetry and mechanical systems background into the heart of unmanned operations. A successful Flight Operations Manager is the company focal point for achieving customer satisfaction and flight operation objectives including supervising, scheduling, logistics, quality checks, cost analysis, and profitability operations.
- Supervise and grow the flight operations team and capabilities
- Develop and maintain project budgets and schedules
- Develop proposals and explore new business opportunities
- Plan and coordinate preflight activities
- Obtain flight waivers and clearances with the proper competent authority (FAA, range manager)
- Work effectively with engineering and production teams to integrate payloads in preparation for flight
- Conduct flight readiness and safety reviews
- Conduct post flight reviews and complete documentation
- Document customer requirements and direct logistics support and arrangements for both Tillamook and remote flight operations
- Provide timely and accurate labor reports
- Forecast and update ongoing project costing and deliveries
- Develop budgets for capital expenditures with appropriate cost justification
- Develop and communicate goals in support of the business’ mission.
- Desire to work cooperatively with others on a team to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
- Demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness.
- Convey confidence in employees’ ability to be successful, especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility and authority; allowing employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and resolve issues.
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the operations, performance management, training & development, safety, and timecards of the employees within the department.
Work Environment, Safety Commitment, & Travel
This job operates in a professional aviation environment and position diversity varies between office, flight hangar, production floor, flight line, and field operations.
Safety is both a program and a value which plays an integral part of the NSC mission. Safety as a value is shared between management and employees and is evidenced by collective thinking, planning, actions, and accountability. A positive safety culture at NSC includes communication based on mutual trust, shared perceptions of the importance of safety, confidence in the effectiveness of preventive measures, and support from everyone at NSC. Prospective employees must be committed to upholding the highest level of safety performance to ensure that all activities meet national and world-class standards for employees and customers.
This position may require up to 30% travel with extended work hours in the field with varying weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates primarily in a hangar environment and is a medium work role.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- Occasionally operates and moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, calculators, printers, etc.
- Frequently ascends/descends stairs to perform essential functions.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external partners and must be able to communicate thoughts clearly, document, remember information, and organize tasks.
- Must be able to observe and assess company documents.
- Occasionally extends hands and arms to access cabinets or essential objects.
- Frequently performs motions of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers for typing, writing, etc.
- Frequently positions self to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl during flight operations.
- Occasionally moves equipment weighing up to 50lbs.
- Occasionally using upper extremities to press against something with steady force.
- Frequently using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Occasionally exposed to dust, extreme temperatures, noise, mechanical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards, and high-pressure gases.
Required Education and Experience
- 2+ years of supervisory experience leading and growing a team
- Experience managing a team to successfully plan, coordinate, and conduct unmanned flight operations
- Experience using electronic test equipment and a basic understanding of avionics
- High level of computer proficiency
- Proficient in Microsoft in Office including: Word, Excel, E-mail, and web-enabled applications.
- Valid Driver’s License
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with operational readiness and safety reviews and briefings
- Knowledge basis of design, manufacturing, and servicing of electronics
- Background in radio and telemetry systems
Equal Employment Opportunity
NSC is an equal opportunity employer who focuses on building a culture where differences are valued. Our mission of leveraging new technology is achieved by embracing diversity and providing an inclusive workforce. NSC employment is based on competence, qualifications, merit, performance, and business need.
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, retirement plan, and holiday pay.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and complete an application available on our web site.