The Sheet Metal Mechanic works closely with other mechanics and maintenance personnel on aircraft structural repairs.
- Locates cracks, breaks, holes, and dents in aircraft sheet metal structures and determines appropriate repairs from technical data to restore components to original strength.
- Forms stringers, bulkheads and ribs and reinforces damaged or weakened skin on structural members. Reads and interprets blueprints and determines dimensions, angles, and contours in performance of structural repair.
- Reports on work order status to the Lead Mechanic.
- Ensures all work is done according to specification, regulation and company policy.
- Ensures that all tools and associated equipment are 100% accounted for.
- Responds to work orders in a timely manner with emphasis on operations support.
- Works to help meet a minimum 80% Fleet Operational Readiness Rate.
- Perform other qualified duties as assigned
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to communicate fluently in the English language.
- Able to communicate effectively and work well as a member of a team.
- Conducts oneself professionally through appearance and conduct.
- Basic knowledge of various computer applications such as Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a secret clearance.
Experience & Education
- High School Diploma.
- Associates Degree preferred.
- A&P license required.
- Minimum of 5 years aircraft structural repair experience on helicopter and/or fixed wing aircraft.
- 1 year full time field service in the last 3 years.
- Experience in reading, comprehending, and interpreting technical documents, including manuals, technical data, and blueprints.
- 1 year experience with assigned aircraft preferred.
Physical Requirements/Working Environment
- Living conditions may be cramped and substandard compared to western (US) standards.
- May be required to perform duties at remote and austere locations.
- Must be able to withstand extreme temperatures and environments while working in field conditions.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds to waist level and 30 pounds to shoulder height.
- 10 – 15%
- Travel to austere or inhospitable high stress environments will be required.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.