Being part of Air Canada is to become part of an iconic Canadian symbol, recently ranked the best Airline in North America. Let your career take flight by joining our diverse and vibrant team at the leading edge of passenger aviation.
This position oversees superior and world-class service delivery in handling customer complaints/recovery. Collectively working to prevent/resolve issues preventing/resolving incidents promptly and effectively, to maintain customer loyalty and minimize brand damage in the recovery process. Using strong interpersonal and coaching skills, this position is responsible for leading, growing and motivating a multi-generational team of approximately 200 employees located at bases in Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal.
Act as a subject matter expert; the incumbent will lead the anti-discrimination/harassment framework activities against a company service delivery or front-line employee group. Activities encompass the investigation and resolving of customers' allegations in a uniform/expeditious manner against a Company service delivery or front-line employee.
This position reports directly to the Director, Customer Care & International Operations and the Vice-President - Customer Contact Centres for specific matters and will work. Working closely and collaboratively, and in conjunction with stakeholders from across the company, including the Law, Labour Relations, Human Resources, Training, In-Flight Services, Airports and Contact Centres branches. Additionally, this position will also work with the Department's front-line unions and external 3rd parties to investigate and attempt early resolution of complaints to avoid escalation. As needed, the person holding the position may act as a witness in legal proceedings.
Key success within this position requires resolving 90% of the complaints to customer's satisfaction within KPIs, as established for the branch, which is (currently 2 and 7-days for high and regular priority and 30-days of receipt for APPR and other claims.).
This position is a crucial contributor to the success of the branch, and it is expected to set the way for the future that enables customers and our employees to realize what is possible.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Coach, lead, mentor, and onboard existing and new Customer Service Managers of the Customer Relations and Baggage Claims teams, to ensure customer outcomes and employee success.
- Manage the process of identifying, training, and developing external and internal talent to deliver outstanding outcomes.
- Lead assigned resources to ensure that the established processes, policies, procedures, and government regulations are being delivered upon met/exceeded while safeguarding the company's interest/assets.
- Monitor daily work volume rends, trends, and run rates and coordinate-ordinate with the Intraday department to lead assigned work teams to meet/exceed the Department's SLAs/KPIs. At the same time, ensuring customers are responded to promptly.
- Oversee responsibilities on behalf of the Air Canada franchise for carrying out complete investigations of customer complaints that include but are not limited to human rights/racism/physical complaints and employee misconduct allegations arising from an interaction involving the brand.
- Establish the Branch's Investigation Practice and manage the investigation of highly sensitive, complex customer complaints and allegations against employees.
- Manage the Department's – Claims/Settlement Audit process and manage the investigation of root causes related to significant incidents. This could include reviewing business procedures/practices, service deliveries, training, and strategically championing changes that could improve/minimize/eliminate incidents from occurring and play the role of an ambassador to improved customer service/continuous improvements across the branch.
- Develop and Manage (monitor/maintain) claim funnels/logs and communicate chronicle actions are taken and results.
- Lead communication initiatives with employees and customers on company directions and explain the rationale behind our policies or decisions.
- The responsible business lead who will sign off on the workforce deployment plans for the assigned operational functions.
- Act as a resource to the Branch Shared Services department in developing workforce planning activities and work schedules.
- Serve as the escalation point for issues and concerns, and act as the claims' investigations subject matter expert, including personally responding to sensitive, high-profile cases and escalated complaints.
- Manage the Department's training/development requirements with the Enterprise Training Design and Branch Shares Services teams. As required, review and sign-off on new or recurrent programs may be required.
- Champion the development and sign-off of the communications material/presentations arising from the portfolio and, as appropriate, drive change across the company.
- Manage the day-to-day business relationship with the Unions for the assigned workgroups under the Department's responsibility and foster a positive work environment.
- Act as the single point of contact on labour-related matters for both the Labour Relations, HR, and the Branch Shared Services departments.
- Manage mitigation strategies for the assigned portfolio; consults with the Legal Department, Labour Relations and other appropriate HR team members as required.
- Along with other management colleagues, participate in and create the Department's annual, quarterly, and monthly budget/outlook exercise.
- Act as the SME on customer recovery insight and influence/guide assigned resources to allow the company to make decisions that meet the needs of our customers.
- Establish/maintain positive working relationships across the company and with 3rd Party service providers that will facilitate timely/productive investigations to protect/meet/exceed the Department's operational standards.
- Develop short-term and long-term branch/department strategies within the assigned business portfolio.
- Act as the delegate for the Director, Customer Care & International Operations and other duties as required.
- Analysis & Decision Making - Analyzes problems and situations, and their impacts on the business and its global network. Delivers commercial, fact-based, forward-thinking decisions.
- Strategic Thinking - Brings to life our vision of becoming “A Top 10 Airline in Everything We Do”. Aligns personal and workgroup activities to the organization’s strategic goals and leverages our global network and strength to provide value to our customers.
- Customer Centricity - Builds and delivers solutions for internal and external customers that meet and exceed their needs, identifying innovative opportunities that will benefit them, creating value-added services, and working in partnership with customers to drive the business forward.
- Results Orientation - Manages performance, holding self and others accountable to effectively and efficiently complete work responsibilities. Demonstrates initiative, a strong commitment to achieving meaningful results, and acts on opportunities to create value.
- Building Collaborative Partnerships - Encourages personal achievement and excellence. Plays a part in attracting, developing, and retaining top talent. Ensures that all talent receives mentoring, training, feedback, and development opportunities.
- Building Talent - Establishes authentic, genuine, and open relationships inside and outside of the organization to build a foundation of influence. Fosters an inclusive culture that makes people feel valued and respected. Works effectively with others across the organization to achieve goals. Ensures that all functions (assigning work, performance management, training and development, succession planning, determining developmental needs, rewarding, and disciplining) are conducted in a fair and equitable way.
- Adaptability - Responds resourcefully and shows nimbleness when faced with new challenges and demands. Effectively manages the pressures and complexities of various situations. Moves forward positively and productively under conditions of change or uncertainty.
- College/University Degree or equivalent.
- 5 to 10 years of work experience at the management level within the Customer Care/Customer Recovery environment is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful/conflict situations over long periods of time.
- Ability to model professionalism and integrity.
- Capacity to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and ensure accuracy and completeness of all investigative material.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact with all stakeholders in either English or French.
- Capability to organize and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced and often hectic working environment while balancing competing priorities and adapting to the changing needs of the business while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge or success in leading case investigation practices, which is predicted by strong conflict resolution and problem-solving resourcefulness/skills.
- Ability to coach and develop others.
- Willingness and ability to undertake frequent overnight travel between work locations in Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal.
- Understanding of regulations and associated legislation that impacts the assigned portfolio.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
Conditions of Employment:
Based on equal qualifications, preference will be given to bilingual candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.