Work Location: NAWS China Lake, California
Roles and Responsibilities: Full time non-exempt position
The Engineering Technician III performs assignments that are not completely standardized or prescribed, selects or adapts standard procedures or equipment, using fully applicable precedents, receives initial instructions, equipment requirements, and advice from supervisor or engineer as needed, performs recurring work independently. Work is reviewed for technical adequacy or conformity with instructions. This technician performs at this level one or a combination of such typical duties as: a. Constructing components, subunits, or simple models or adapts standard equipment; may troubleshoot and correct malfunctions; 107 b. Following specific layout and scientific diagrams to construct and package simple devices and subunits of equipment. c. Conducting various tests or experiments which may require minor modifications in test setups or procedures as well as subjective judgments in measurement, selecting, preparing, and operating standard test equipment and records test data; d. Extracting and compiling a variety of engineering data from field notes, manuals, lab reports, etc., processing data, identifying errors or inconsistencies, selecting methods of data presentation. e. Assisting in design modification by compiling data related to design, specifications, and materials that are pertinent to specific items of equipment or component parts; developing information concerning previous operational failures and modifications, and using judgment and initiative to recognize inconsistencies or gaps in data and seek sources to clarify information.
DUTIES INCLUDE: The following job functions are a basic requirement but are not limited to and may be assigned other duties.
- Perform non-routine assignments of substantial variety on project test articles such as aerospace vehicles, propulsion systems, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, electrical systems, airframe and related structural/mechanical components, flight controls and related sub-systems, and weapons systems.
- Assist in the performance of test and evaluation of aircraft survivability technology. Perform recurring work independently; work is reviewed for technical adequacy or conformity with instructions. Other tasking, as required to support customer requirements.
- Perform as a member of project work team on test site and project test article preparations and setup, modification, and teardown.
- Conduct project tests or experiments requiring selection and adaptation or modification of a wide variety of critical test equipment and test procedures. Operate WSL special test support equipment and systems unique to the WSL.
- Perform qualification, acceptance, and pre-test operational checks on project test articles such as aerospace vehicles, propulsion systems, and instrumentation setups for technical adequacy prior to test conduction. Perform qualification, acceptance and calibration tests of standard and unique test support equipment.
- Perform modifications to existing project test article systems and structural test simulator assemblies, or construct new systems to achieve test simulation requirements.
- Plan and conduct work from blueprints, drawings, test plans, and technical publications. Perform modifications to WSL test sites and test support equipment and systems. Must work well with others, as part of a team.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and efficient work environment.
- Working Conditions:
- Conditions will vary and may change with or without notice.
- Capable of working outdoors and occasionally from elevated work platforms with fall protection harness and in temperatures ranging from 0-120.
- Position will include: 45% standing, 20% bending, 15% reaching, 5% sitting, 5% walking, and 10% lifting.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- This contract works on a Compressive Work schedule (9/80)
- Overtime is a requirement of this position.
- High school education or equivalent. Formal military, trade school, or equivalent on-the-job training commensurate with duties.
- Practical knowledge of mathematics and science, or engineering related to duties.
- Minimum of three years hands-on experience in mechanical assembly and a practical knowledge of structural systems. Aircraft rework and/or repair experience preferred.
- Skilled with precision hand tools and measuring instruments. Must have ability to interpret engineering drawings, test plans, and program requirements. Must be capable of developing modifications for aircraft and weapons systems such that the program requirements are satisfied without jeopardizing safety of operations. Must possess ability to work tactfully with professional engineers, technicians, and management staff at all levels of effort.
- Familiarity with test procedures and safety in an RDT&E environment, and with modern military aircraft and weapons systems. Experience working at a government site/facility.
- Exceptional customer service required. Prior forklift experience a plus.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license. Must be able to be insured through Company's vehicle insurance policy while driving work/government/rental vehicles during working hours, and for the duration of your work employment.
- U.S. Citizenship and U.S. DoD SECRET Security Clearance required for hire, and to be maintained throughout employment.
- All candidates will be required to pass background screening to include SSN, Driver Record, and Criminal Background Investigation.
All responses will be handled with strict confidentiality.
Systems Application & Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.