The Air Force Civilian Service (AFCS) is looking for an Aircraft Fuels Technician to work at JB Lewis-McChord. The primary purpose of this position is as an Air Reserve Technician (ART), to inspect, maintain, modify, troubleshoot, repair, overhaul, and test aircraft hydraulic and pneumatic systems and components.
Air Reserve Technicians are full-time civilian employees who are also members of the Air Force Reserve unit in which they are employed. In addition to their civilian assignments, they are assigned to equivalent positions in the Reserve organization with a Reserve military rank or grade. Appointee's civilian assignments will consist of the following duties.
- U.S. citizenship.
- May be required to work overtime, rotating shifts, uncommon tours, weekends, etc.
- The work may require the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver's license may be required.
- The physical requirements of this position as determined by the manager are: The work requires moderate to strenuous effort. Sits, stands, lifts equipment weighing 20 pounds and occasionally items weighing up to 60 pounds with help from lifting equipment or other workers. Pushes heavy jacks and test stands, stoops, bends, stretches, and works in cramped, tiring, and uncomfortable positions. Subject to high intensity and higher frequency sounds that impose a physical burden.
Other significant facts pertaining to this position are:
- This is an Air Reserve Technician (ART) position. Must meet and maintain Air Force Reserve requirements.
- This is a testing designated position (TDP). The employee is subject to random drug testing.
- Inspects, maintains, modifies, troubleshoots, repairs, overhauls, and tests a variety of major aircraft hydraulic and pneumatic systems, their assemblies, and components.
- Jacks aircraft to flight configuration, hooks up power sources, and using cockpit controls and gauges and additional precision instruments, checks operations of such items as landing gear doors, ground and flight spoilers, and steering and brake systems for performance and conformance to operational specifications.
- Uses and maintains tools and test equipment required to accomplish duties.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and clean work area.
RECRUITMENT KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (KSA): The description of your work experience in your application must clearly demonstrate that you gained and currently possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) shown below to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position being filled:
- Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic principles; the physical laws governing the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases); basic electrical and mechanical principles; aircraft pneudraulic systems and pneudraulic equipment used in maintaining and checking aircraft pneudraulic equipment such as test stands and hydraulic jacks; and troubleshooting procedures designed to isolate malfunctions in aircraft pneudraulic systems.
- Knowledge of aircraft structures; the relationship of aircraft pneudraulic systems to the structure and to other aircraft systems; and the relationship of the work of aircraft pneudraulic systems mechanic to the work of aircraft mechanics, aircraft electricians, and sheet metal mechanics (aircraft).
- Knowledge of safety regulations, practices, and procedures; documentation procedures; and other applicable publications and forms.
- Ability to effect modifications, repairs, or maintenance required.
- Ability to read and interpret technical orders, microfilm, manufacturers' specification manuals, parts supply books, blueprints, and schematic diagrams.
- Ability to operate test panels and ground power equipment such as hydraulic test stands, gas and electric air compressors, and portable rectifiers; and use hand tools, jigs, fixtures, and special tools and instruments
- 10 Federal Holidays
- 13 sick leave days
- Based upon length of employment ? start at 13 days and earn up to 26
INSURANCE - No waiting period to qualify for health insurance for you and your family
RETIREMENT - Immediate coverage by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), part of a three tiered system which contains:
- Basic Benefits Plan
- Social Security
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP), similar to a 401 (k)
To be informed about current and future openings with AFCS via email notification, please register with us at