SAIC is seeking a Senior Flight Software Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the hybrid flight computing system (HFCS) of the Restore-L program in the Satellite Servicing Projects Division (SSPD) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The Restore-L mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Satellite Servicing Project Division (SSPD) managed mission. Restore-L is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the Restore-L Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. The SSPD is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the Restore-L Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The Hybrid Flight Computing System (HFCS) team at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center is looking for flight software (FSW) engineers to develop the critical C/C++ flight code for the Servicing Payload on the Restore-L mission.
The candidate will support a wide array of design, development, integration, and testing activities associated with both embedded flight and ground support systems. Motivation, extreme fluency in C, and a deep understanding of embedded systems are critical to supporting this fast-paced but incredibly rewarding mission.
Job duties include:
- Writing well-tested, well-documented, critical flight code
- Developing device drivers for a real-time operating system for various hardware devices and to support FPGA hardware acceleration
- Developing or using ground tools to support FSW system integration and test.
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, aerospace engineering, mathematics, physics, or closely related field with 9+ years of related experience
- Must be able to pass a Government background investigation
- Extremely high fluency in C
- Strong understanding of C++
- Strong experience with embedded systems
- Understanding of computer architecture
- Ability and desire to write clear, well-tested, well-documented, standards-compliant C/C++ flight code and participate in the review of your code and the code of your peers
- Ability to build/debug software via a command-line interface using tools like make, CMake, gdb, etc.
- Ability to support shift work for spacecraft integration and test activities, as needed
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, intense development environment and confront new challenges with logic and composure
- Ability to learn quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly motivated, self-starter with a positive attitude
- Strong focus on reliability and testing of critical software
- Experience writing comprehensive unit tests for C/C++
- Experience with real time operating systems (e.g. VxWorks)
- Experience writing technical documentation, including LaTeX, Markdown, and Doxygen
- Experience with space systems and flight code
- Experience integrating guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) FSW applications
- Experience with dynamics simulation environments for testing FSW
- Experience integrating avionics hardware with emphasis on command / telemetry FSW
- Experience with developing low-level drivers for real time operating systems
- Experience with make, CMake, or other makefile-based build systems
- Experience with Git version control
- Experience with designing/analyzing algorithms and code optimization skills
- Strong math skills
- Experience using ground systems (e.g. ASIST) and scripts (e.g. STOL) to test flight software
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions
- Ability to attend to assignments with only limited direction
- Experience with NASA mission life cycle and review cycle (design reviews, requirements reviews, integration reviews, trade studies, etc.)
- Proficiency in advising management, inside and outside own organization, on system architecture, technical results, or risks
- Scripting in Bash, Python, or MATLAB
- Basic understanding of FPGAs and parallel programming
- Experience with the PowerPC architecture
- Experience with the CFE (Core Flight Executive) framework
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's most complex modernization and readiness challenges. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission solutions. Using our expertise in existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions. We are 23,000 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has pro forma annual revenues of nearly $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com . For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom . For SAIC benefits information, see Working at SAIC . EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability