What you'll be doing...
As a Backend Engineer you will design and develop services that enable a connected ecosystem between devices and cloud applications and services. You will use industry best practices to ensure high quality, scalable, and reliable services that are updatable and maintainable using CI/CD principles. You will develop in collaboration with teams across our Skyward Aviation Management Platform and Aviation Network Technology to enable connectivity devices, aircraft, and cloud services. Your practices will balance the needs of Agile development in a startup environment with applicable safety functions for drones. Your contributions will enable even greater benefit to customers expanding their drone programs.
- Use Java and related frameworks such as Spring Boot, data stores (Postgres with PostGIS), and message queues to create scalable web services using REST/JSON or other formats (e.g. protocol buffers) to enable connected drones and associated product services.
- Break down problems into quality, scalable, reliable, maintainable, and deployable Microservices that allow for teams to rapidly and independently deliver customer value.
- Work with front-end, mobile, and product teams to understand user requirements and design endpoints that enable appealing interfaces.
- Participate in Agile practices such as standups, estimating, prioritization, and retrospectives.
- Promote a strong Agile culture, enabling team members and egoless programming.
- Remove technical roadblocks by identifying areas of complexity and implementing architectural improvements that increase quality and performance while reducing risk.
- Demonstrate helpfulness and flexibility, exemplified by a willingness to accept new challenges, assist in troubleshooting issues, and jump into areas that go beyond the code such as builds, branching, and Agile process improvements.
- Keep up-to-date on technology trends and best practices.
- Become knowledgeable in connected aviation, understanding embedded systems and the architecture, opportunities, and challenges of cellular network technologies.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Four or more years in a full-time backend development role.
- Two or more years of full-time programming experience using Object-Oriented Design (OOD) principals.
- One or more years of experience in relational database technologies (Postgres, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience building scalable RESTful Microservices and processing JSON data.
- Experience using software tools like JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience and a passion for working with Agile teams and evolving our Agile processes.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Science, Engineering, Aviation, or similar technical discipline or commensurate experience.
- Aviation experience (FAA Remote or Private Pilot Certificate, airspace knowledge, ability to read VFR sectional charts, operating UAS, etc.)
- Experience with scalable services that support secure live transfer, high and distributed throughput, storage, or analysis.
- Experience with data transformation and analysis. Experience in machine learning, video processing and analysis, live data streaming, or geospatial technologies.
- Java experience, including frameworks like Spring Boot, SSO frameworks / approaches, and data stores.
- PostGIS and Java GIS toolkit experience, or related computational geometry experience.
- Capability to learn and understand the commercial UAS marketplace and customers' needs.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Experience to server-less architectures.
- Experience with security and reliability over variable connections.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and drive balance between experimentation requirements in a dynamic environment.
When you join Verizon...
You'll have the power to go beyond - doing the work that's transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G - a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you'll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we'll go far.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.