Tethers Unlimited, Inc. is a 70 person aerospace production and R&D company located in Bothell, WA. We're nimble and scrappy and fun, and we work on a variety of cool projects.
As a Mechanical Engineer III and part of a team, develop cutting edge systems for the space and defense industry.
- Lead the entire design cycle, including conceptual and detailed design, trade studies, structural analysis, development testing and qualification of highly weight- and performance-optimized mechanical systems for undersea, space, and terrestrial environments.
- Generate component drawings, assembly drawings, and interface control documents with application of GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Create documentation for assembly and testing of development and flight hardware.
- Participate in subsystem level testing including planning, execution, data reduction and analysis.
- Develop component specifications and manage suppliers.
- Provide mentoring and support to help develop less experienced mechanical engineers.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering.
- Minimum eight (8) years of recent experience designing aerospace or equivalent type mechanical system elements within aircraft, spacecraft, or launch vehicles.
- Extensive mechanical design and integration experience using 3D modeling tools (SolidWorks preferred).
- Experience leading requirement reviews, design reviews, performing qualification and flight hardware inspections, and providing feedback on mechanical design concepts.
- Strong knowledge of metals, material processes and finishes specifically related to machining or bending aluminum and steel.
- Strong knowledge of composite materials, such as PEEK, Ultem and PET.
- Working knowledge of actuators, motors and mechanisms.
- Experience with GD&T analysis (ASME Y14.5).
- Experience in structural FEA using Abaqus/SIMULIA, ANSYS, NASTRAN or similar tools.
- Experience with closed form and FEA thermal analysis in terrestrial, vacuum, and microgravity environments.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a design team bringing a prototype from TRL-4 to TRL-7.
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent discipline.
- Experience in spacecraft mechanism design.
- Experience in SolidWorks kinematic mechanism design or other mechanism analysis tools.
- Experience with environmental qualification for space environments.
- Experience with composite component design and material characterization.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching, pushing, pulling, or lifting up to 40 lbs. May encounter prolonged periods of sitting.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK: This is a full-time position requiring a minimum of 40 hours per week.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel (less than two weeks per year, if any) expected for this position.
WORK AUTHORIZATION/SECURITY CLEARANCE: ITAR Requirements: This position requires special security screenings to conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, which may include the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance. The U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship only.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Some of our PERKS:
- Easy Eastside commute to Bothell
- Awesome medical/vision/dental package
- SEP IRA 15% company contributions on top of salary
- Federal holidays off as well as public holidays
- Smart, engaged co-workers who value and support each other's growth
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Covered bicycle rack
- Walking trails nearby
PLEASE NOTE: We are only considering local (Greater Seattle area) candidates at this time.
** PRINCIPALS ONLY. NO RECRUITERS PLEASE. **
TUI participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Tethers Unlimited, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.